Friday, January 24, 2014

Baby Girl Nursery Inspiration

Happy Friday! It's an ice day here, so Husband gets to rest at home (cough...help me rearrange and organize stuff when the nesting mood strikes...cough, cough) and have a long weekend! I've spent quite a bit of time over the last week or two honing my nursery design ideas, and this is where I've arrived: Vintage ABCs with mint, red, and pops of yellow.

I'm not huge on using pale pink in decor, although I'm sure our little lady will be decked out in all the girly attire anyone's heart could desire. Bring on the pink dresses and giant bows, but I want her nursery to be feminine without being too frilly. Clothes can and must be changed frequently, but her room will be her room for several years (hopefully with only minor modifications), so I don't want anything too babyish or girly and, let's be honest, for the first several months, the vibe of her room is more for me than for her.

Without further ado, here's the current plan, and I'll let you know how the final product turns out in a few months!




























  1. White Jenny Lind crib with a ruffled crib skirt and simple crib sheet (maybe in red polka dots)
  2. DIY pinwheel mobile
  3. The fabric that is the centerpiece of the room design (I want to make a cornice for the window in the center of the room with this fabric and then use it sparingly in the room because it's so busy. It screams Vintage ABCs. :)
  4. Mint walls
  5. I'd love to find a vintage red or yellow dresser, but the Ikea Malm grey one is a backup plan. 
  6. Focus wall with uniform alphabet letters (I may cover mine in coordinating scrapbook paper.)
  7. Sentimental stuff from my girlhood (I have a couple Madame Alexander dolls that would add the perfect vintage flair to a shelf in my daughter's nursery.)
  8. Free printable alphabet from The Handmade Home with whimsical words and images (A for Adventure...)
  9. Classic wooden alphabet blocks (I think my mom still has the ones that featured in my ABC nursery.)
  10. Embroidery hoops with snippets of the coordinating fabrics used in the room
  11. A vintage-vibe rug in yellow or red
  12. Sheet music for "Great is Thy Faithfulness" (This hymn is really speaking to me during pregnancy, and since her Daddy's a musician, there need to be musical details in the room.)
  13. Pom-pom curtains from Anthropologie (I think I can DIY these for less than half the cost.)
  14. Button initial (maybe in one of the embroidery hoops)
  15. Vintage paper doll art (I found free printable 1950s paper dolls and have a plan to arrange the outfits to make custom artwork.)

No comments:

Post a Comment