Friday, October 29, 2010

A Very Merry Birthday

Happy Fall!

This week was another crazy busy one. Sam had his first orchestra concert of the year, I had my first paper due for the semester, and we dressed up for Trunk or Treat at church. (We went as a hippie and a mime. The hidden connection: Peace and Quiet. We're so clever.) Needless to say, I didn't have time to blog about my wonderful birthday weekend, so I'm playing catch up.

We had friends over for a small party Friday night, and it was so much fun to play games and visit with them. I also got to enjoy getting together food and decor for the party, and I treated myself with mini pumpkins to paint. My husband bought me several gifts, and he was so excited for me to open them that we stayed up until after midnight so that I could open them on my actual birthday.

The next morning we got up and headed to Starbuck's for coffee cake and a cinnamon dolce latte. My mouth is watering thinking about it. I then coerced him into going shopping with me to spend birthday money on the way to visit his parents, sister, brother-in-law, and niece. More presents, delicious homemade pizza, and some more shopping made the visit extra nice, and of course we got in some quality play time with Kate.

Then, we headed back to our side of town for dinner at Carino's. Once again, my mouth is watering. And I played my final "birthday card" to see a chick flick. Thankfully, we both enjoyed Life As We Know It, although the ending is a bit cheesy.

Sprinkle the day with calls from family members and several birthday cards, and you have my idea of happiness. Thanks to my husband's gift of the Pioneer Woman cookbook, which reeks of her fabulous personality, we are having bacon-wrapped meatloaf and homemade mashed potatoes for dinner. (Can you tell from the rest of this post how hungry I am?) Maybe he had an ulterior motive in giving that gift, but I get to indulge my loves of reading and cooking, so I'm willing to believe in the nobility of his intentions.

3 comments:

  1. Jordan, I am reading and relishing your blog, and I hope you continuing writing it. I especially enjoy your food descriptions. You mentioned that you and Sam were a hippie and a mime, but you didn't way which of you was which, and I am curious about that. Are there pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need to share the meatloaf and mashed potatoes recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no pictures because Sam and I are so good at forgetting our cameras. But we have witnesses who can attest to the fact that we dressed up twice and even wore orange on Halloween.

    The meatloaf is here: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/my-favorite-meatloaf/

    and the mashed potatoes are here:
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/delicious_creamy_mashed_potatoes/

    ReplyDelete