Sunday, March 11, 2018

10 Years in the Making

I spent this weekend driving 13+ hours with my eight-month-old to a camp in the middle of nowhere Arkansas where there was no cell service or WiFi. And I LOVED it. Why? Because some of my favorite people gathered there to share life.
Ten years ago, I was a naive college student who made a few good choices and had a lot of providential blessings. One of my good choices/blessings was a spring semester spent just outside Florence, Italy. We lived in a villa, we backpacked across Europe, and our emerging adult-selves formed intangible bonds that continue to this day. And yet...a lot life has been happening in the last ten years. We have been busy living good lives and having other awesome adventures, and some of these women, who I think about frequently, I have not seen since graduating from college. Which is pretty normal and status quo since we are scattered across the country. And then I remembered that we are not normal (in the best possible way), and having face-to-face time with intelligent, beautiful people who love Jesus and the art of story is life-affirming. So we made that happen this weekend, and I soaked it up. There was so much laughter and delicious food (the lasagna! the cinnamon rolls!) But mostly there were people who shared a formative experience ten years ago who lived together once upon a time (in a villa in Italy!) and made the effort to be together again to remember and catch-up and share life. These people are my people, and I love them. And reinforcing some of those intangible connections is worth any amount of car time with a fussy baby. I took zero pictures, and I  am contentedly exhausted, which are proof of a great weekend. Until next year, friends, live life well and continue adventuring. I want to hear all about it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment