Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hi, my name is Jordan, and I'm an Introvert

So, in case you don't know, I am a classic introvert, and I didn't know it until college when someone straightened out my definitions of "introvert" and "extrovert".

I saw this description of introvertedness (Is that a word? Just go with it.) on Cup of Jo Friday, and while it made me laugh, it also made me say to myself, "That's so true and absolutely applies to me!"

Consider this my public service announcement in which I explain that although I am not (typically) socially awkward or withdrawn in public settings (unless I am sick and/or know no one in the room), I am definitely an introvert.

This doesn't mean I don't have people who I love and who I love spending time with. It means the anticipation of being away from home surrounded by people almost always sounds draining. My favorite, much embraced definition of an introvert is someone who recharges when alone, so after a long day or week at work when I'm constantly interacting with people and I have to be "on" for 8+ hours, I dream of my couch (or let's be honest, my bed) and a good novel.

It does not mean that I don't want to come to your house for dinner or that I don't want to see a play with you and your husband. It means I sometimes have to remind myself that those activities are fun and I enjoy them once I am there, particularly if I haven't had any down time recently. And by recently, I mean within 2-3 days. (Just trying to be honest, friends.)

Please don't misunderstand me: I love my friends, and I love catching up with them or eating with them or discussing what God is teaching us through life or laughing our heads off reminiscing. I also adore my husband, and I can be completely transparent with him, so time with just us at home is perfectly refreshing, not draining. Which is good because we live together, and this house is only so big. :)

But being out in and amongst people wears me out. Even people who I love, so I sometimes act like a hermit. A hermit who still wants to hang out with you...but who needs enough solitary silence to make it all balance out.

Hopefully this PSA has enlightened you as to one of my many quirks and you will still invite me to hang out...and understand if I occasionally politely decline. Have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. I can very much identify with what you are saying. Sometimes, people exhaust me, and it is an enormous effort just to try to come to the surface and engage them. But, in the right setting, I love being around people and interacting with them. Just the challenges of life as an introvert.

    Now, back to my hamster ball.

    ReplyDelete